Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Just Friends

I have a question, dear reader. Are you friends with your ex? And if so, why? And how close would you say you are? And how does that work, exactly?

I know that people do this-- they stay friends with people they've dated. Maybe they babysit for each other, maybe they do each other's taxes. They talk. They hang out.

This is a COMPLETELY FOREIGN CONCEPT TO ME.

I've never had the desire to stay friends after breaking up. I'm sure this has a lot to do with my dating track record. When someone treats me exceptionally badly and I've had enough, I'm not interested in grabbing coffee with them next week. You screwed me over? BUH BYE.

Sure I still talk to some of the guys I've dated but usually via texting or email and not on any kind of regular basis and I wouldn't necessarily call us "friends." I feel like there is a word I'm looking for to describe it that doesn't quite exist-- somewhere in between acquaintances and old friends.

But I know there are a lot of people who  feel differently about this than I do. And that's fine. Like I said, I don't think there's anything wrong with being friends with your ex. I just don't get it.

So? Are you friends with your ex?