Friday, June 20, 2008

Just until the novelty wears off

Okay, I promise that I won't spend tomorrow in front of my computer. I will go outside. I will bask in the sun and enjoy this uncharacteristically warm weather.

But I must say I am enjoying this laptop gadget. I got it because my school recommended that if our computers were more than 2 years old, we might want to at least think about doing some serious upgrades since there are certain applications that we'll need for classes and such.
Since my computer was a good 6 years old, I decided to get a new one. So far I'm really enjoying it. As a Mac, I expected that it would look sleek and pretty and it has certainly lived up to that. Crisp is a good word for it. And I know I rolled my eyes at the "convenience" factor for years but it's true! It really is convenient. When they told us at Orientation to make sure we were registered for classes, I just popped the top and did it right there. No frantic scribbling on my note paper, no worrying that I wouldn't remember. Done!

I mean after, of course, I had the nice boy behind me figure out how to add my computer's number to the school's web site or ........ something.. ??

Anyhow, I haven't owned a laptop since the administration forced every student in my high school to buy one. This they decided to enforce my senior year of high school. Which meant that my classmates and I had a rather skewed perspective of laptops. We had no concept of how valuable they were. I was constantly leaving my laptop in the library. Not forgetting it. No, I would go to the library, set it up, and leave it there for a couple hours and come back and use it intermittently. This was completely normal. People jammed their laptops into lockers or left them under benches in the gym. They covered them with stickers. Drew on them with sharpie. "Can I borrow your laptop for class?" was a perfectly reasonable request.

The laptops weren't novel, they weren't interesting. They were just a presence. And and occasional annoyance. And apparently it has now taken me the past 8 years to realize how cool they really are.