Friday, June 20, 2008

And I'm spent.

Well today was orientation and I. Am. Exhausted.

After a fitful and nervous night of sleep I got up at 6, got myself primped and ready, and headed over to my train stop at around 7. I promptly hopped on the wrong train because call me naive but I didn't realize more than one train came through that stop and I didn't think to double check since it had been so easy the first time. I finally made it to school and promptly spent the little "welcome reception breakfast" ignoring all of my classmates and gorging myself on fruit and bagels. This is the problem with having no seating area-- it makes me feel like it's okay to just plant myself next to the buffet when I'm supposed to be mingling.

We then sat through a variety of welcome speeches, and got info about housing, financial aid, classes, clinicals, health services, registration, books, uniforms, etc. And then they sent us chasing about all around campus trying to get all of our stuff in order before school starts on MONDAY.

So, I'm thinking-- couldn't they have done this just... a tiny bit sooner? I mean, for instance there's this patch I'm supposed to buy from the bookstore and sew it onto my uniform.
Now, I quit my job over a month ago and had plenty of time that could have been devoted to sewing said patch, had I known about it. But no. They kept that little detail a secret until today.
Oh, and we were instructed to bring our laptops, if we owned laptops, so that we could change our settings and get on the school's network. So I, like many of my classmates, brought my little laptop with me to campus. Unfortunately the administrators forgot to mention that in order to use the school's wireless internet you FIRST have to go online at home and enter your computer numbers or some such nonsense. So everybody's computers were picking up wireless signals but we couldn't use them. Awesome.

Other than that, I found out that I'll be commuting an hour to clinicals.

And that I need to pay my school tuition and fees with a check because they don't charge extra for that. Now if only I could find my checkbook in this black hole that is my apartment.

AND they are raising said tuition by a hefty couple thousand dollars!!! Which apparently "went through" less than a week ago. So remember those student loans you all applied for, kids? Well call the bank and ask for more!

I think I'm cranky.