Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Day Three

I can't believe it's only Wednesday. And it's still the first week of school. I feel like it could easily be mid-August right now. I'm tired and kind of overwhelmed, but feeling pretty good about school. It seems like it will definitely be tough and very time-consuming, but I think the teachers all "get" that we all are here with the best of intentions and that we worked really hard to be here. So far the environment has been challenging and intense, but not in a way that makes me feel like I can't ask questions. Plus, they are all very enthusiastic about the material they are teaching which definitely makes it easier to listen to their lectures.

My classmates all seem to be very nice. In one of my classes we did the thing where we went around the room and all said who we are and something interesting about ourselves. My "interesting thing" was that I'm a huge USC Trojan football fan. And it just shows how brainwashed my fellow Trojans and I are because as soon as I said that about 3 other people, who had evidently gone to USC as well, chimed in with "Fight On!!" But anyhow, it was insane. I felt like I was in that scene from Legally Blonde (yes I've seen that movie, yes I think it is fantastic).... you know the one where she's with her little orientation group and there's the guy who spent the last 18 months de-worming orphans in Somalia and the chick who singlehandedly organized the march for lesbians against drunk driving? That's exactly how it was. Everyone had a fancy story about starting some clinic or working in the peace corps for 6 years. Which meant that it was pretty cool to listen to them all, but also made me feel kind of lame with my piddling little graduate degree.

Tomorrow is the first day of clinicals. Orientation at the hospital where I'll be providing excellent care to patients by cleaning up vomit. I'm nervous because I'm brand new and don't really know what to expect, but I'm also excited because this is the reason I went back to school-- to help people.

We learned how to properly wash our hands yesterday in clinical lab (yes, we are starting with the very basics, which is fine with me). This is good for obvious reasons. But I'm already kind of OCD about handwashing. So putting fake germ powder on my hands and then washing them and then looking at the specks left on my hands with a blacklight pretty much means I'll be soaping up for the extended dance version of "Morning Train" instead of the first 2 verses. But hopefully that won't hold me up too much.