Thursday, June 26, 2008

Contemplating going to bed at 8:00

I'm sort of wondering if this is how tired I'm going to be for the next year of my life. I'm hoping that maybe the level of exhaustion I am feeling is stemming not just from the long day and long commute I just had, but also the stress of starting a brand new program. Not to mention learning to negotiate a brand new city and get my little apartment organized. And I really am hoping that maybe I'm extra tired right now since this is the first week and I have been stressing over that and not sleeping very much or well.
I am hoping these things because eventually the newness of the program will wear down, I wil become familiar with the city (hopefully), I will get somewhat more organized, and I will start being able to sleep better. These are things that I am hoping will happen, because the other factors-- the fact that I am going to have to arrive at clinicals at 6:45 am for the next 4 weeks, and then at 6 am after that, and the fact that the commute is an hour each way, and the fact that I'll get home after dark-- those are not going to change. Not for the next few months anyhow. It's a tad cruel that those of us with the farthest away clinical setting actually have the earliest start time.
Miss Jenny once came to visit me after I had been working at Kennolyn for about a week. She told me that I looked so tired, I had "chicken eyes." That is, that my eyes were at about half-mast and closing from BOTH the top and the bottom. I think that's about what I look like right now.