Thursday, August 21, 2008

Sick Day

Wednesdays are usually the nights when I trick myself. Clinicals start at 6 am on Thursday and I need to be semi-rested which entails going to bed rather uncharacteristically early on Wednesdays. So I try and trick myself-- I have dinner at 5, followed by a couple of beers and I'm usually relaxing in the bath by 7:30. Sometimes this works, sometimes not so much....

Last night I had my drinkies, ate my dinner, watched a couple episodes of Friends, and went to bed just before 10. And then I woke up at 12 with a horrible, horrible tummy ache. All I could do was whimper and curl up in a ball. And that's how I stayed until 4, when I had to get up and vomit and then take care of myself a little.

I called my clinical instructor and she was very nice and told me I should stay home. So I am.
As a sidenote: I cannot stand missing obligations. Even if I am tired and busy and cranky and overwhelmed or whatever, if I made a commitment to do something, I will do it. In my entire 4 years of college plus 2 years of grad school, I possibly missed a total of 5 classes. And if I had to miss class I always emailed the professor called them the night before, even if it was a class of 200 people where I surely would not be missed.

So I felt pretty lame calling in and missing clinical because of this. And I felt especially lame also because it's probably the most important aspect of my program-- the actual hands-on experience with patients. And I felt especially lame since they had literally just given us a speech about people missing clinical days and how that wasn't okay on Tuesday. So I really didn't want to miss today.

But on the other hand, I really am sick. And I really got no sleep. And I really would not miss clinicals just because. And I really would possibly have vomited on my patient today or else fallen asleep at the wheel on the way home.

I went back to bed at around 7 and experienced that glorious dreamless, heavy sleep where I was neither too warm nor too cold. Heavenly. I feel a bit better and I guess I will try to use today to catch myself up and study and start getting ready for finals next week. Or maybe I'll get back in bed.