Monday, July 28, 2008

A tiny break from making flashcards

In order to keep up with this program I've become unable to keep up with various parts of my life that previously made me happy. First I stopped getting to bed at a reasonable time and became sleep deprived. Then I stopped exercising. Then I became really lousy at getting back to my friends and family (the best way to reach me is currently via text message). And now I don't watch TV anymore because I was planning to combine exercise and TV time and use the fancy machines downstairs but since I haven't made time to exercise, TV is gone too. And did I mention that my love life is.... oh I don't want to talk about it... ? Or that I don't know very many people in this city since I picked up my entire life and moved? Or that I also can't drown my sorrows in food because I have a very sensitive tummy and I need to eat things that won't aggravate it on weekdays? Having a drink or two seems to calm my nerves after a long day, but I really don't want to get to the point where I need to have 7 beers before I can start my homework. Even I recognize that as unhealthy.

I don't mean to complain or sound like I'm freaking out... I really am glad I'm doing this program and I feel like I'm learning a lot. It's just a very high stress, tough environment to be in. I'm really trying to keep myself together and make it through the year-- this week actually represents the midpoint of the first quarter (!!!!)-- but how can I do that if I have to push aside everything that keeps me sane and happy?