Wednesday, July 23, 2008

make a reservation

Because I now live in San Francisco, I fully expect people to invite themselves to crash at my place. My place, I warn them, is very very very small. But it is still conveniently located, clean(ish), inhabited only by me and Bowiepants, and most importantly, FREE. And so the hints have been dropping. I am only too excited to have company in my little casita since I've never lived alone before so when Jenny said she was coming to town and using me as a hotel, I said "Yay!" I was already on board with the plan so the drinks and food she plied me with were icing on the metaphorical cake.

And so last Thursday, they came. Jenny and her baby Gabey for the evening until his papa picked him up on Friday. This was a fine arrangement since it meant I got to see the little one... except that he was sleeping in a strange place and kept waking up. And therefore waking me up since my apartment is lacking in certain areas. Like walls. And doors. But it really didn't matter since I don't sleep very well the day before clinicals anyhow so I probably got just as much sleep as I normally would have and I had an excuse to watch the Little Mermaid the night before.
So. Went to Clinicals all day long. Had a lovely dinny with the parents' who had just come home from their very long and exciting trip. Drove the hour back to my apartment. Got dressed. Changed mind about what to wear. Got dressed again. Left for the cocktail party.

Apparently from a combination of caffeine and being at a conference all day where she had to be outgoing and enthusiastic and "on point" the whole day, Jenny had turned into a..... well, a rather high strung version of herself. She greeted me with, "HI! I was just coming outside to look for you because I assumed you'd be here by now did you get my message? I met a girl and she said I could use her phone to leave you a message in case you got lost. Did you get your drink tickets? Give me one, I think I get three and you get one, okay?!"
I can't blame her for being this way-- it was the end of the day and she'd been going strong all day so really what I was witnessing was how I'm sure I was toward the end of my school interviews where I had had three in one week, and had been traveling coast to coast and throughout CA, so by the end of it all I was electric.
But. Friday I had not gotten much sleep and had left before the sun came up. And I had been on my feet at the hospital all day. And commuted. So I could not take the madness.
I threatened to leave. I force-fed her pasta for 10 minutes. I drank. And she did her white girl dance for me in the bathroom and won my heart all over again.

And we ended up having a rather ridiculous time which included but was not limited to, meeting a cat that looked, sounded, and acted just like a miniature version of Bowie, Jenny having an in-depth conversation with our Russian cab driver, hanging with a boy wearing a baseball cap made of tweed and fur with a leather brim, and taking a shot with a girl who works in an abortion clinic.

Saturday we woke up rather late. Okay that's not true. Jenny woke up on time but I snarled at her until she left me alone. We went to fabulous panel at the BlogHer conference. Miss Grace sort of makes it sound like I was the reason we left lots of our activities that day, but I was there and the decisions were quite mutual. She wanted the beer, hot tub, & nap combo more than the conference. I just listed it as an option. We enjoyed the Macy's cocktail party, loaded up on free lube and jump drives (!!!!), and bought shoes on the shoe level party and bought underwear on the underwear level party. It really is probably good we didn't make it to the handbag or furniture level parties. We crashed out early that night, exhausted and full of approximately 4 lunches and 1 dinner (each).

The Hotel Jules quite enjoyed its guests. Some come one, come all. But be sure to observe checkout hours.