Sunday, July 27, 2008

My Magic Birthday

It started out as sort of My Tragic Birthday... but this weekend ended up being lots and lots of fun. I'm still hoping I get to do something else, possibly out of town, for my birthday, involving persons who live farther away. We shall see.
- Friday night: Dan's house for the BBQ with my classmates. We grumbled the whole way there "why the hell does he live out here?? It's so far away from everything!" But then we got there and realized why-- because Dan lives in the coolest house EVER. It's a warehouse that's been built into a series of rooms and living spaces. He has a ladder that goes from his room to his little office. It's like he lives in a treehouse! And he had room enough for like 40 people to park their cars. So we ended up staying there a lot longer than I was expecting. Drank me some more vanilla vodka and _______ (I actually don't know what it was since Nicole made the drink, but it was quite tasty and contained no roofies). And then a few of us headed out to this place called Whisper. We got there late so we only stayed for about an hour and a half before going home to pass out-- but we did manage to shake it for a bit.
- Saturday (My Actual Birthday!!): I had a lovely family dinner at Palapas and then went out to see Mamma Mia, both of which were fantastic. Then I picked up Miss Jenny from her cousin's wedding and we hit the town. Jenny was quite adept at procuring free drinks for me since it was my birthday, which is something I didn't actually know was a skill. My experience in LA with my birthday has been that if you said it was your birthday, you got a free drink. Or several. Bars, restaurants, wherever, whatever. Birthday = free drink(s). But everywhere we went in Santa Cruz, the bartenders demanded to see my ID to prove it was my actual birthday and a couple of them even pointed out that it wasn't my 21st birthday. Yeah..... SO???? But like I said, Jenny was very good at talking them into giving me a free drink; especially since she made the rule that I wasn't allowed to talk (and eff it all up, which I am very likely to do). She also reminded me that many of the free drinks I got last year possibly had something to do with the fact that I may or may not have been making out with the bartender. Whatever. Who remembers that stuff anyhow??
- Sunday: drove back to SF... stopped at Target on the way and completely lost track of time. I got to buy kind of lame things like a plunger and a cutting board, but I made up for it by also getting a really cute skirt. Then Prav and his girlfriend took me out to dinner at Cha Cha Cha. The offered me Sangria but I think I'm still pretty saturated from the weekend I've had. And now I'm home and I really should be studying but I think I might have to hit the hay and at least get my beauty sleep before another week begins.
And now I'm 26. Lets hope this year is a good one!