Monday, July 14, 2008

Eating my way through the week

Instead of the Freshman 15, my classmates and I are apparently going to gain the "Masters 20." And I can definitely see how that might happen to me.

The first day of school I bought a half sandwich, salad, and soda for $10 and quickly realized that there was no way I would be able to continue buying lunch sine I'm already swimming in debt from doing this program in the first place. But the problem was that there is not a fridge anywhere for me to leave anything that could potentially be gross or spoiled without being in a fridge. And there is no microwave. Okay, actually, I think there might be a microwave somewhere on campus. But anything I make that I would want to bring would probably be pasta of some kind and on the first day of school, this girl Diana mentioned that if she eats wheat at lunchtime she feels sleepy in the afternoon. And it was like a lightbulb went off above my head because for approximately a year while I was working at the ADHC, I would eat a big bowl of pasta or something equally carby and then always feel sleepy in the afternoon. The afternoons were also kind of slower and less eventful, but still. So now any kind of rice or pasta or potato dish are out and those represent quite a large percentage of the foods I can potentially make, store, and take to school.

For the rest of the first week, I brought hummus and various things to dip in it. And the second week I brought salads with all kinds of goodies on top. But I'm running out of ideas of things I want to take to school and/or clinicals. I can't bring anything that might spoil or go slightly bad since I have kind of a sensitive tummy anyhow. And I just can't bring myself to be like the rest of my classmates and bring, say, beet greens and figs. Oh and those bags of nuts everyone is so fond of. It's really just not my style. So what, then?? I guess for the two days I'm on campus I eat whatever I manage to scrounge from my refrigerator and try to make appealing. The combinations have been getting rather creative. [HELP!!]

I've starting branching out on clinical days. One day a week when we are in San Rafael for lab there is this insane buffet for $6. So far I have been getting their hot entree in addition to a salad. And last week Lauren came back to the table with the most delicious pie ever. I usually don't eat dessert because sweets aren't something I can't live without. I much more enjoy my savories-- give me a bag of pretzels instead of a candy bar any day of the week. But this pie was amazing. Amazing. I guess it was a custard pie; Lauren identified it as an egg custard. Which meant it was creamy and not too sweet but very.... satisfying. I only had about two bites but I've been thinking about it for a solid week so I'm pretty sure I'll be getting my own piece next time. So Tuesdays are shot in terms of healthy eating.

The other two days I'm at clinicals I pretty much want to eat all day long. Getting up at 5:30 makes my body sort of go "Wait?!!... WTF?" So I eat a much earlier breakfast than usual. And then a snack during break in the late morning. And then I still manage to be starving at lunch and all that sounds appealing is the biggest plate full of whatever is worst for me. Turkey with stuffing and mashed potatoes and gravy? Yes please! But don't waste any space with that broccoli crap. And then it's back to the unit for another couple of hours until postconferance when we sit around and discuss our days and I usually cannot possibly get through it without a bag of chips or a piece of fruit.

Combine this with the fact that it's pretty difficult to fit any form of exercising into my schedule and I'm thinkin I might be a bit pudgier come next June.