Tuesday, March 31, 2009

(Almost) April Showers

I went to a bridal shower recently. It was very nice-- the food was delicious, the restaurant was classy, the guests were pleasant, the bride was sincere and thankful. But bridal showers just... aren't that fun are they? Honestly and truly, I don't think I've been to one where I have had a great time. And these were very nice events with lovely people. So either I'm just a bitch (which I suppose is a possibility) or showers just... aren't that much fun.

I mean, I assume they're fun for the bride (otherwise, why on earth have them?). Having never gotten married or had a baby, I don't know what it's like to be the guest of honor person at a shower. I'm assuming it's really nice, am I right? I have had a couple graduations and I seem to recall always greatly enjoying at both the ceremony and the party afterward, but when I think of other people's graduations I remember them as tedious and excessively long. So maybe showers work the same way?

I didn't know this bride very well so I was thinking maybe that was the reason I didn't feel that overjoyed at the shower (I believe I've made mention of my social awkwardness). But I'm not totally convinced that showers are even that much fun for the people who do know the bride really well. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong here but I don't recall having that much fun at my sisters' showers. They are just so laden with tradition and small talk that it tends to exhaust me.

But maybe that's just me. Maybe I just don't properly appreciate showers. Maybe it's my personality. Maybe I'll just have to accept my fate as the sulky one who keeps her eyes focused on her plate and can't make small talk and accidentally walks into the men's room.