Wednesday, February 17, 2010

29. try oysters

As of Sunday, I am able to cross off an item from my Life List. We went out for sushi and the restaurant had an oyster appetizer. So I went for it.



Cautiously, at first.



And then I manned up.


This is a small accomplishment, but a notable one I think. When I was a kid I was an extremely picky eater and my mom used to tell me I should be more adventuresome (the word she always used). And while growing up I've definitely noticed my tastes evolving. I still have to nudge myself to order something different at a restaurant if I know they have one particular thing that I really like, but I'm learning to explore lots of new flavors. Including this one: rubbery, but delicious. As you can see in the first pic, these oysters were prepared with fancy sauce and garnishments (including roe which always kind of freaks me out because OMG fish eggs are popping in my mouth). But it was definitely yummy, in a salty-slimy kind of way.

I had no trouble at all coming up with the 111 items on my list and even actually had to HOLD MYSELF BACK because I had to stop somewhere and just post it already. So I'm very excited to start checking things off and adding more!