Wednesday, August 26, 2009

We already knew that I'm a packrat

Things I realized whilst cleaning out the stuff I had stored at my parents' house:
  1. I am the biggest dork on the face of the planet.
  2. I still love my dolls and tiny animal figurine collection.
  3. My hot pink caboodle was a great purchase.
  4. Jenny and I used to have ridiculously awesome snail mail correspondence.
  5. Repeating "Keep the memory, not the thing" helped me be more heavy handed than I usually am.
  6. I was a good story writer when I was a little kid.
  7. Also, I didn't understand the big age gap between my siblings and me. I wrote a lot of things like "My sisters are far away and I am sad."
  8. The movie Annie makes me happy (I watched it while I sorted through boxes).
  9. I'm glad I went to my senior prom.
  10. I don't think I'm ever going to find that box of broken doll house pieces and doll house furniture that I was saving after my doll house fell apart. I kept opening promising boxes thinking "please be my doll house furniture, PLEASE be my doll house furniture," but no. Where is it?
  11. My mom used to write letters to me at camp on a typewriter.
  12. I can't believe I thought I needed an entire filing cabinet in high school. Some of the files were for stuff from my classes. But SOME were apparently for "X Files," "Elementary School Drawings," and "Internet Conversations." Please see item 1.
  13. I have all four of my high school ID cards.
  14. I have my first and fifth grade yearbooks but can't seem to lay my hands on my senior year college yearbook.
  15. For all the hundreds of letters I wish I had tossed out years ago, I am so happy I kept these postcards and this pegasus birthday card from my grandmother.
  16. I had a lava lamp?
  17. I had a fondue pot?
  18. Advertising something as "collectible" definitely works on some people.
  19. Thank GOD for the Goodwill.