Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Potpourri

This weekend was incredibly fun. On Friday afternoon Jenny and Gabriel came over and we hung out while we waited for Gabey's dad to pick him up. We watched my favorite Christmas movie and Gabey played with some early Christmas gifties I gave him. He was sweet and good and patient but his dad was about three hours late, which is an awful long time for a little boy to wait in a tiny apartment with next to no toys. Which means that my house transformed into a Justin Bieber-ified video watching/dance party space, as usual.
And Jenny caught these videos of me... singing?



Please take note that my cat is nearly the same size as Jenny's child.
And then we spent approximately twenty minutes attempting to pronounce the word anemone.
And then we went out! And the night was filled with shenanigans and tomfoolery, as per usual.


---

I spent Sunday at my parents' house, hanging out with some of my nieces and nephews and decorating their Christmas tree. It was the culmination of two solid weeks of me burning the candle at both ends, so to speak, so I spent a good amount of time sitting on the couch, handing ornaments to the kids and vaguely gesturing where I thought they should end up. My mom got out her ballerina Christmas tree topper that she keeps in the cabinet with her fine china and my brother in law climbed the ladder (my parents always get a really tall Christmas tree that has to be lashed to the ceiling beams) to put it at the top.

Bro in law: Here?

Me: Higher!

Bro in law: Here?

Me: Higher! It has to be higher than the mime!

My dad: Wait. Why... is there a mime on the tree?

Me: Lucky [10 year old niece] put it there. Is it really an ornament?

Lucky: It was in the box with all the decorations....

Me: But... why was it there? It's creepy.

My dad: It is sort of creepy.

My mom: It's an ornament! Everything becomes an ornament eventually. You sit still long enough, you end up on my Christmas tree.

---

I am currently making a batch of my tortilla soup. I found a variety of semi-gone-bad ingredients in my fridge so it's really not a question of IF I will get sick, but of WHICH ingredient will be the culprit. Will it be the partially-gloopy cilantro? The hard, stale tortillas? The shriveled onion? Only time will tell!

---

I realized the other day that I have a post on this site titled Balls, and a post titled Wangs. That's... a lot of innuendo for a site that rarely mentions intimate relations.

---

A movie that I surprisingly enjoyed, despite being exhausted and, er, dehydrated and the fact that I don't generally like primates? Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

---

I'm getting kicked out of my apartment sometime in the next few months. This isn't a surprise, nor is it a totally unwelcome occurrence. I've lived here for three and a half years and that was the approximate deal. I have loved living here, though. I love my apartment itself. I love that there's a courtyard with a hot tub that I can use to coax guests to come visit me. I love that I have a parking spot. I love that I never have to buy boxes because the cardboard recycling dumpster downstairs is usually full of them. This will come in handy for moving, methinks. Hopefully I will have a job before I move, but if not then maybe I'll take my sister's advice and move closer to her. I have an interview on Friday, though. Shhhh, don't jinx it.

---

The coming weeks will be satisfyingly Christmassy; full of buying toys for the tots, Christmas shopping, Holiday Tea with my mom, and Daniel's Christmas party. And I basically invited myself to see the Nutcracker with a friend of a friend. I plan to drink champagne at intermission, to help conversation flow a bit more freely and because I love champagne.
Oh, and I also went to Amber's Ugly Sweater Christmas Party last weekend.
The sweater I'm wearing is actually a sweatSHIRT. That someone intricately puff-painted and then... cut the sleeves off? For some reason?