Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Pot Head

When I moved into my apartment I had to buy some kitchen supplies since my roommate didn't think it was such a good idea for me to just take her stuff when I moved out. Among other things, I purchased a set of pots and pans. I thought I got a really great deal at Wal-Mart-- a set of 2 saucepans, a skillet, and a dutch oven pot and all of their lids for about $17. Amazing!

Not so amazing, as it turns out. First, the little pot I used most often started shedding its teflon coating. I tried to prevent it by using it as carefully as I could and never stirring with metal utensils and giving it an authoritative talking-to. And then it got to the alarming point wherein I would sit down for lunch and realize I was eating a hearty bowl of tomato-soup-with-teflon-flakes.

So I got rid of that pot. But one by one the others have begun to follow suit and, judging by the increasingly chipped pots and pans in my kitchen, I'm certain I have eaten more than one chicken-breast-with-nonstick-sauce or bowl of macaroni-and-teflon.

As someone who tries to be health-conscious but only when it is convenient, I decided to put an end to this. I went to Target and upgraded. For $70, I bought a whole new set of stainless steel pots and pans. So, hopefully, no more poison dinners for me! Lunches from the hospital cafeteria, however? That's a different story.