Thursday, October 6, 2011

Potpourri

I visited my sister recently and she LOVES her new tea set. She keeps it in her kitchen cupboard and uses it every day. It is pretty cute to see her kids pouring milk for breakfast out of a teapot.
Her friend came over while I was there and said "Oh I love your dishes! They look like fine china!" Then she turned a dish over and said "It IS fine china!"
Huh.

---

I got an email from Operati0n Rainb0w over the weekend-- apparently they are already scheduling their missions for next year. I'm hoping to go on one of the trips. If I do it will likely be to either El Salvador again, Ecuador, or the Dominican Republic, depending on when my dad wants to go, when my friend from last time wants to go, and if Operati0n Rainb0w, y'know, wants me back.
If I DO get to go I will bring the following:
- Sharpies
- Earplugs
- Fanny pack
Yes, apparently I have reached the point in my life wherein I wish for a fanny pack. It just would have been so convenient for running around to the patients' rooms carrying pens and meds and my notebook and my stethoscope and my chapstick. I spent so much time and energy searching for some good scrubs that fit okay and had lots of pockets and it turned out to be a waste of time since we only wore scrubs in the ORs. I had only brought scrubs for wearing in the hospital because that was what I had thought that was what I would be wearing, but since I spent most of my time in the patients' rooms and not the OR I ended up needing to wear other clothes. And the only other clothes I had brought were jeans (WAY TOO HOT) or shorts and tee shirts. I was WITHOUT POCKETS; it was tragic. So now if I do end up being able to go on another mission I think I will invest in a fanny pack, along with some of those way-too-expensive fancy traveling clothes that are meant to look nice, not wrinkle, and wick away sweat. And I definitely won't bring jeans.

---

I have been watching Toddlers and Tiaras on my computer. I am disturbed by MANY things in this show, not the least of which is their use of the word "crowning" in reference to the time in the pageant when crowns are awarded.

---

I am currently looking for a job. I am also preparing to take my certification exam, volunteering at a couple of clinics, and doing a hospice volunteer training program. I am getting a little tired of being asked how my job hunt is going. I know the asker always means well and is probably just curious and attempting to engage another human being in conversation, but I have been asked the following things so many times that I'm getting a little ON EDGE.
"Why don't you just get an RN job?"
"It must be easy to find a job since you're a nurse, right?"
And I say, as nicely as possible that yes, I am applying to RN as well as NP jobs and that no, in fact it is NOT easy to find a job just because I am a nurse since I am a nurse without experience.
What I want to say is STOP ASKING, PLEASE! WHEN I GET A JOB I WILL TELL YOU, I ASSURE YOU.

---

Flying kitties!
No cats were harmed in the making of these photos.