Monday, June 29, 2009

Cream Cheese Pasta

If, at some point, you decide to make yourself some salmon for dinner and you go to scoop some rice out of its container into the rice cooker for your side dish only to realize that there is no rice left and you haven't been to the store in weeks so you really don't know what ELSE you might have, then this recipe may be for you.

Ingredients
Orzo pasta
Frozen veggies (I used the last little bit of a bag of broccoli and the last little bit of a bag of mixed veggies)
Olive oil
Cream cheese
Lemon juice (I keep a bottle in my fridge. You could use a real lemon if you want)
Salt & pepper
Spices

Boil water in a pot, toss in some orzo pasta (I had about a half a box of this; I'm sure other pasta varieties would work just as well), reduce heat to medium blah blah or whatever just cook the pasta till it is done. Drain it and return it to the pot. Pour in a teeny bit of olive oil, just to make stirring easier. Pour in your frozen veggies (no need to pre-cook!) and stir them all around.

Now grab your cream cheese (I used regular whipped cream cheese) and scoop some into the mixture. I used about half an 8 oz container (in other words, 4 oz) and it was probably a bit much. Squirt in some lemon juice. Shake on some salt and pepper and other spices if you have them. I had oregano, basil, thyme, and garlic powder. I used probably one hefty shake of garlic powder and less of the other 3 spices.

Keep stirring until the veggies are completely cooked and add a pinch of this or that until the taste is to your liking.


Lemon juice and cream cheese-- my secret ingredients. I know this combo probably sounds weird, but it turned out quite yummy. You can play around with proportions of ingredients (I didn't measure anything, I just kept adding stuff until I thought it tasted good) or leave the cream cheese out altogether if you want to be all heart healthy about it.