Thursday, April 30, 2009

Girl Talk: Faultless Frivolity





Lets pretend I have $50 to spend, guilt free. What to spend it on? Hmmmmm......

Fifty dollars is an amount that really makes you think, because it's not A MILLION DOLLARS where you could list your wildest dreams and most ridiculous luxuries (a new car! an island! a herd of mini ponies!). It's fifty bucks.

Enough for almost fifty song downloads (now that some of the prices have gone up) or one bra from Victoria's Secret. Two tanks of gas. Twelve and a half trips across the Bay Bridge. One of my textbooks. Twenty-five lunches at the hospital, if I only get the soup.

As a Catholic and a member of a family with sky-high expectations, I have quite a bit of guilt to my name. So I tend to buy things that I can justify that I need, even if I don't really need them. Like, "I didn't need this new sweater, but it has been cold out and I really like it and I do need to wear clothes" or "I probably shouldn't have bought this movie, but I'm saving money because I don't pay for cable or internet." But Guilt Free is interesting. It means that I could buy some totally extravagant frill!

So, with that in mind, I think I would choose either a beautiful glass unicorn, probably one of these two.



Or, an old school Nintendo system and my favorite game from childhood.


I don't care if I'm a big dork, it's MY imaginary fifty dollars. So there.