Wednesday, April 22, 2009

One of those days.

Remember how I was just saying how good I was feeling about this quarter and how all the pieces of my life are falling smartly into place? Well yesterday was, like, the opposite of that.

I had a hard time during clinical. My clinical instructor and I just could not seem to quite see eye to eye. I know that she is a super amazing expert in her field and that she probably feels like she is teaching us and showing us the best methods of doing things. But, from my perspective, I think there is a way of teaching that invites the learners into the process instead of, say, grilling them until you get to something they don't know and then focusing solely on that.

And she bought lunch for the entire unit. Which is very VERY nice, but it was spicy food. I already have a delicate tummy and on clinical days I tend to have a rather nervous stomach, so I really didn't want to risk an afternoon of racing to the bathroom when I'm supposed to be taking care of patients. What I'm trying to say is-- yes, it was very VERY nice to buy food for the unit, but maybe don't try to make me feel guilty for wanting to leave the floor for my lunch break. I'll be back. I'm here for TWELVE FLIPPIN HOURS.

And then there was the after-clinical crankiness with my man.

And I had sore feet (trace pedal edema) because I walked around and stood in the kitchen making dinner instead of going straight home to put my feetsies up after clinical.

And I recieved an email from Kaplan saying they have mailed my NCLEX study materials to the wrong address.

And then I got an email from my TA whose comments about my paper included that she can't understand my writing and that I need to write more simply. Here's what I have to say about that, lady: I HAVE A BACHELOR'S DEGREE IN ENGLISH AND YOU ARE ESL.

I almost wrote her a snarky (YOU SPELLED THE WORD PARAGRAPH WRONG) email. But then I thought... maybe taking out my entire frustrating day on the well-intentioned TA is a bad idea.

So I drank a cold beer in the shower, ate a Hostess cupcake, and called it a night.