Tuesday, April 27, 2010

If I give you a gift...

If I give you a gift, it is likely that I spent a fair amount of time picking it out. It is likely that I selected something with care that I think you will enjoy. It is likely that I think you will find it useful and/or aesthetically pleasing. It is likely that I spent some amount of money on you. It is likely that I am giving you a gift because I like you.

If I give you a gift, I want you to keep it. I want you to enjoy it. I want you to use it.

However!

If it turns out that the gift isn't quite your style or you already have something similar or you just don't have a use for it, I DO NOT want you to keep it just because I gave it to you. Exchange it, take it to the Goodwill, wrap it up and regift it-- do with it what you please. I don't want you to feel obligated to clutter your space because of me.
But, fair warning, I'm adopting the same policy for gifts I receive.
And I think that's fair.